Sunday, June 20, 2010

Blog Post 5

Part 1
Why Smartboards are a Dumb Initiative

I think this post was focused on the side that Smartboards are really expensive and not worth the money. Even though I've never used a smartboard in a classroom for a class, I do see so many things that the smartboard can do. I might change my mind one day, but I think just by my research that the smartboard is well worth the money. I think why i disagree with the point that we can use our mouse and pointer to interact is because kids don't want to use a mouse. They want to go in front of the class and write on the board. I think children really like to be the one drawing on the board instead of the teacher.

Why I hate Interactive Whiteboards


I think this post is just something that I've always known, everyone is different. Some people just don't like certain things. I'm sure the person who made this post was someone who is very smart and likes to use technology, but this is just a reminder, not everyone likes interactive whiteboards. I encoarage you to read the whole post and make up your mind yourself but here is something I want point out. Here is a quote from the post: "I ask you: Do we really want to spend thousands of dollars on a tool that makes stand-and-deliver instruction easier?" This to me says that this person thinks that smartboards only make instruction easier. Is that really all we could do with this? I'll let you decide.

Smart boards in the classroom

This website has some very interesting comments on why smart boards in classrooms help children learn. I encourage you to look at this and read the comments on this page. I like the comment from CreativeRachna. She has an ancient Chinese proverb that says: "I hear and I forget,I see and I remember,I do and I understand." I think this is a great way to explain the way so many teachers and students feel when they use the smart board.

Smart Boards are hands on, minds-on


This is a link to a website of the Wilmington news journal in Ohio. I like to see that this kind of achievement is in the news. This is just another piece of evidence that suggest that students want to use technology to learn. Another part of the Smart Board that I think is important that was stated in the article is this: "The technology utilizes lessons and templates — templates that can be used and adapted to suit a teacher’s needs for specific grade levels." I think this is important because ANY grade level can use this in their classroom.



Part 2
Edm for dummies

I think one thing I would like to do in Edm for dummies is how to use a Mac! I recently did a video with Anthony and Jamie Lynn and I got to use a Mac computer. I really liked the different things about it but I had no idea what I was doing. I think it's important that I learn to use Windows and Mac because who knows; if my student has a question about something on their Mac computer and I have a dfferent computer, how will I help them?

3 comments:

  1. Stephen,

    That's a great point, and actually, before we made this video, all three of us were using windows. Windows Movie Maker wouldn't accept our video files, so Dr. Strange showed us a little bit about iMovie on his Mac and let us use his computer. We figured out most of the things we incorporate, and we actually taught Dr. Strange a few things. iMovie is so much fun to use, and I have a tutorial video about using iMovie on my blog. You should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    I do agree with you about how they seemed to just focus on the price of the smartboards. I do not think it should be about the money. I have never used a Smartboard either, but from reading other material on them, I think I would like it. Smartboards seem to get the students to interact more as well as the teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephen,

    You make a great point about learning new technologies such as the SMART Board. Most people are afraid of new technologies and tend to down them due to their fear. I think we should all try a variety of new technologies and decide whether we like it or not before we down it. I like your attitude and I think we should take this into our future classes.

    ReplyDelete