Sunday, June 27, 2010

Blog Post 7



I can say that this lecture is one of the best ways to really look at yourself and try to understand how you want to live your life. Many people don't know how to really be the person they want to be, or they don't know what their purpose is in life. In this video Randy Pausch shows us how his life was effected by others and how his ways can be a guideline to all our lives. He talks about the importance of dreaming and how our childhood dreams make us strive to become good people. He talks about leadership and how it can create such a good thing for everyone that is connected with you. He also talks about the importance that we can't do everything by ourselves.

I think one thing that Pausch said that really made me think was fundamentals. I really think that the importance of fundamentals is really something you have to experience to really know why it is so important. Students who are going to the next grade and don't remember the fundamentals of math shows me the importance of fundamentals, because how can they learn the more involved things if the fundamentals are not there? I really want to make sure that I teach fundamentals as much as i can so that my students don't have to be burdened with relearning something they should already know.

Leadership is something that I lacked in high school and for most of the time I've been in college. I really think that leadership is something I need to possess while I'm a teacher as well as all teachers. Just as he pointed out, Captain Kirk wasn't the smartest on the ship but he was the one who had the most leadership. If I can show leadership in my classroom, I think that it will rub off on some of my students. If my students can show leadership where they work, or whatever they decide to do, they can pass that on to the next person they met or accompany.

We can't do everything ourselves! In this video, Randy Pausch talks about how he couldn't have done anything he accomplished without someone's help. I know I couldn't have gotten into college without the help of all my teachers and of course, my family. I know as a teacher, I will not be able to have a successful career as a teacher without the help of my peers or my families support. I know that everyone has their own way to help others. Maybe my way of helping others is to teach my students so they will learn the little things in life from me. I hope I can also be the person that helps someone else.

4 comments:

  1. Stephen,

    It looks like you took a lot from Pausch's lecture and you made a good point about the importance of fundamentals. About your leadership comment, you not being a leader in high school actually surprises me. Your work in this class is exceptional thus far, and usually, work ethic doesn't just develop over night... So, if that is true, what changes have you made about yourself in order to take on more leadership roles? I just read a book called The Traveler's Gift, and one chapter it discusses Abraham Lincoln's philosophy on leadership. He says that people should not be afraid of power, but embrace it to be used for the betterment of others. I think that is what leadership is about. Be proactive about seeking leadership roles-- let people know you are available! Dr. Strange has mentioned seeking out additional help for Fall semester. It might be worth checking into if you're interested.

    Keep me posted on what you decide to invest yourself in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anthony, I think one change that has really help is that I saw college as a new beginning. I really want to start things over and get things right at the beginning. I think I should take a look at that book "The Traveler's Gift". It sounds like it would be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comment about leadership is very perceptive. Anthony is right too, and I'm glad I saw his comment to you...We should be proactive in seeking out leadership roles. How else will we get into them? Keep up the great work Stephen! You seem to really be thinking about what this class is providing us, and how to develop those thoughts and skills in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep up your good work. It is clear that Dr. Pausch's philosophy is affecting you!

    ReplyDelete