Sunday, June 6, 2010

Blog Post 1

Question mark

Did You Know?
This was a very interesting video that really brought many things to my attention that I had no idea even happened. After seeing that video I think it is safe to say that we do live in a very small world. Technology is a very useful tool for us in classrooms as teachers and classmates, but the fast rate of technology growth has really created a challenge for teachers. This Did You Know video shows us as potential teachers how important it is for us to "teach" kids how to use these tools and make them a part of our lives.

The last part of the video has the question "So what does this all mean?" I think it means that we must prepare our youth for so much more than the past generations have. I think that many students around the world in years to come will be so reliant on technology that if they are not shown how to use these tools they will not be prepared to live in the world that will be.

Mr. Winkle Wakes
This video is great in showing how things are around us today. This is one of those kinds of videos that really depicts the way our ways so true and so well. How many of us know that our teachers in high school were so like the one that Mr. Winkle visited? I know my high school was this way. Why should kids be taught to learn to use technology?

This video showed us why children should be taught to use technology when Mr. Winkle was in the work place. Everything that was in the building was computers and internet based machines. If children don't get a head start on using technology, how can they be expected to prosper in society?

Ken Robinson Video
Ken Robinson really wants people to understand how creative children can and should be. I think his opinion on creativity is really true and how we should carry that out in the class room. I like when he says that children should be prepared to be wrong. If we teach children to never be wrong, when will they ever learn new ideas and new theories?

He goes on to say how diverse our education is that we should let children explore the education that we have. He says that we should not limit our children to such a small and narrow part of our education system. So many things can be developed from this because the children will be exposed to so much more and be more involved. I think technology can give us a way to do just that.

Digital Smarts
She makes a good point in saying how some children have limits with just pencil and paper. Children can have less limits with a computer. They can have more ways to express themselves. Its all about learning and she shows the great ways that computer technology is changing the lives of our children and how great these tools are to everyone, not just students in a classroom.

She says that its so amazing to see children learn things that she didn't teach them. This is a great way to understand how kids should learn and that they feel accomplished when they learn something on their own. The blogs are real important in their class room because they share ideas and learn a new type of social skill. This is important to children who live in rural areas because they now have access to many more sources from around the world.

3 comments:

  1. I don't really like this digital age, but I'll have to get over that because you're right. Technology is the key for building a lot of things I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen,

    I think you have great insight and really understood what the videos were trying to depict. When I watched these videos, I was truly amazed. It is unbelievable how far behind so many people are. I have encountered numerous people who refuse to change and learn how to use technology. I agree that we, as teachers, have to prepare our students for the future. I certainly wish that my teachers would have taught me how to type instead of learning to write in cursive. I believe that many schools are the ones holding the children back. As a new generation, we have to think about new technology to come, and we must prepare our students, otherwise, we are assisting in their failure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you have seen and heard in these four videos is just the tip of the iceberg. This morning I am in a conference which has revealed how much more change is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete