Monday, June 21, 2010

Blog Post 6

Picture of Network
This is How we Dream

I knew since I started this class that English and Literature classes would be dramatically changed. Watching this video, it quickly showed me how little I knew about this new age of learning and "writing". I like how he points out that now we can communicate instantly all around the globe. That is so amazing to me that I can look up anything that someone wants to share. So many things are happening with technology that is so hard to keep up. It was amazing to me how he created a whole article just by using his computer.

Right now, I know that I am not ready to write with multimedia. I am so eager to learn how to use this because I think this can make research so much more easier and more organized. I hope that my class will be willing to learn how to do this, and I hope they will realize how much this will help them in the future. I hope that my students will also realize that they really don't have the option to not use technology anymore. Sometimes I think about how I will cope with all the things that are changing and this video shows that so many more things are changing at a very fast rate.

This video really shows how books have taken a new step in making itself available to everyone. Its really cool to think about how he talks about how things are updated right in front of our eyes. He also talks about how we as educators should be in the business of sharing ideas and sharing discoveries. I hope people in education will really try to keep ideas and keep updates on all the new ideas that can help EVERYONE be better at what they are training to become.

Wendy Drexler: The Networked Student



This video really clears up some of the understanding I didn't have about networking and my personal learning network. I can really see how this is an important tool these days in researching. I've said this so many times before that I wish I would have known about this when I was doing research papers about a year ago. I could have used the PLN to get some incite from people who where much more connected to the subject than I.

As someone who is just starting to use videos to help others learn and understand, I really like the way that the video was shot. The cartoons make it interesting and simple to follow as the narrator speaks on how to use and the example of the networking. The tools listed in the video are really cool and it amazes me on how much more information we can cover by using these tools.

Over all, I really enjoyed this video because it is informative and it really helps to clarify what a PLN is and how it is used. Many people can use the PLN to research anything they want! In a way, using a personal learning network can be a hobby. I think with practice I can use the networking tools to help improve my searches on specific subjects.

Toward A New Future of Whatever-Michael Wesch




Here is another great video on media communication and what it means for us today. Youtube is one of the highlights in this discussion of media and how it affects all of our lives. Professor Wesch talks about how Youtube has changed our communication and how people now see themselves and how they are expressed to others. I've been conscious of this when we did our videos for this class. It is very interesting to notice how we see ourselves as apposed to how we thought we looked and talked with face to face conversation. I think that this video is a wonderful way to learn why media tools are so important and how these tools can change the whole world in an instant.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent analysis Stephen! All three of these selections make some common points including; information dissemination is instant and updated in real time, communication and networking are the key to success, and how we perceive ourselves is at the heart of how we relate to others.

    I encourage you to go ahead and start writing with multimedia. The more you do it the better you will get. You also made some statements that you hope your students will get in to the technology. If you as the teacher and coach are into it, don't worry they will be too.

    Keep up the good work. SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen: I think that communication and networking are the key to success in the future. "This is How We Dream" explains how we should fuse the humanities and the sciences so that they can both progress into the 21st century. For example doctors could work with sociologists to improve living conditions in impoverished areas. Biologists could work with writers to create a poetry book about a certain species. I think this is such a bright hope for our students.

    I would like to pose one question about this networking. Michael Wesch asked “How can we use this to conquer the narcissistic disengagement we see today, in a culture still ruled by triviality?” If we connect this way, are we disconnecting in some other way? cognitively? emotionally? If we now connect with people on a more impersonal plane, does that affect how we relate to ourselves?
    It's just a thought.

    GREAT post!

    ReplyDelete