Thursday, June 10, 2010

Blog Post 3

Don't teach your kids this stuff. Please?
This guy is pretty funny but gives a good message at the same time. His idea about technology is that he wants his kids to be ahead of the game, so he tries to convince parents to not let their children learn these things. I want my children to be able to understand that technology will be very important when they are entering the work force. He does raise some good points that there are bad things that children can be in contact with on the internet, but they are easily taken care of if the parent knows how to use the technology themselves!

Scott McLeod is the co-creator of the Did You Know? video. He also helped in creating the country's "first graduate program designed to prepare technology-savvy school leaders."

The iSchool initiative
This is just another great video showing us how technology can change how students learn, interact, and progress. As I've said before, technology opens doors to new ways of learning and also this will bring about a whole new way of life for some students. How can so many things be available in one simple device?

I think the most appealing thing about this video is the idea that the iSchool could save a student $600! Plus not to mention the school saving money. Another part that really gets me thinking is everything is on one device. This is so much more convenient that carrying five or six books home every night to work on your homework.

Lost Generation
Thinking about the way some generations act I think is the key for our generation to turn things around. Some say that generations before are ones who had a strong will to work and do more manual labor than newer generation. So, attitudes change and generations are stereotyped, but over all they are right to say that newer generations are not willing to do certain things, because they don't have to do those things. The movie shows us that all the things that were said at the beginning can be reversed. We can reverse these things by having the right attitude and start looking at ourselves with reflecting eyes and ask ourselves, am I really who I want to be?


Eric Whitaker’s Virtual Choir
Over the past few years I've learned one thing about myself. That one thing is that many things that amaze me don't amaze many other people. After watching this video, I don't see how anyone could not be amazed. None of these people singing have even met each other! What an amazing video that shows yet another way technology can be used.

3 comments:

  1. Stephen,

    I think you are absolutely right about The Lost Generation. My grandparents are always making comments about how we, meaning our generation, cannot do so many things, and we are lazy because we don't want to do manual labor. I tell them the exact thing you stated, "We don't have to do those things." Our world is so much more advanced than they could have imagined when they were my age. My grandparents are capable of using technology; they have facebook and can email, they can text, and they can do so much more. They tell me it is still important to be able to do manual labor and other things because technology can crash. I do see their point, and I think our generation simply needs a good balance of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your response on Scott McLeod's comments. It is hard for me to empathize with your response to the "Lost Generation" video, since I am just one generation ahead. I am the one who is trying to add some technological education to obtain "good balance of both worlds." I am curious does the iSchool initiative make you worry about job opportunities in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really don't think that the iSchool would impact jobs very much, but I do think that some jobs my diminish because of it. I also think that even with those jobs being lost, others are created. This job that is created is probably a job that is technology based. I think the question is: Is the person who has lost a job technological ready to take on the job that was created?

    ReplyDelete